Thursday, August 29, 2013

SOB Blow Out Kit: everything you need in an easy to reach location

While deployed earlier this year I saw a piece of kit that piqued my interest. It was a blow out kit worn in the Small Of the Back (SOB). The blow out kit is a stripped down version of the IFAK (Improved/Individual First Aid Kit). The contents of a blow out kit generally consist of an Israeli Bandage, H&H gauze, and some type of hemostatic agent. These small kits are easier to carry than a full sized IFAK, and gained quite a bit of popularity in the training and operational communities. I also feel that having some of these basic trauma items readily available is not a bad idea in today’s environment here at home.

Contents of the SOB blow out kit are very small and compact, and offer 
just what you need until you can get to a larger kit or a higher level of medical care


As I said, seeing one of these kits worn in the SOB got my attention. However, being deployed I was busy and did not have the time to investigate it any further. A couple of weeks ago while I was going through some of my equipment I found an old admin pouch. The size was just about perfect for putting a blow out kit in and I figured I would give a shot. I emptied out one of my IFAKs and stripped the contents down to an Israeli bandage, 1 packet of H&H gauze, a package of Quickclot Combat Gauze and added 2 Tegaderm seals (chest seal).  I wanted a way to keep these items protected from sweat and the elements so I sealed them up with my Foodsaver. It took me a few tries to get the size of the bag right, but after about half an hour I had it. The next step was to find a way to get it out of the pouch. This was the easiest step as all I needed was some duct tape to make a tab. My total time spent putting this kit together was an hour.

Deploying a SOB blow out kit is easy and can be done with either hand


My biggest reason for building this was to wear it when I am instructing or attending firearms training courses. Most training organizations have some type of medical personnel and equipment readily available, but nothing will be as fast as self-treatment. This also holds true if you are somehow involved in any type of traumatic incident. The size of this kit lends to easy carry in everyday situations -  it will fit into the cargo pocket of most pants and will absolutely fit into your EDC (everyday carry) bag. If you are going to carry this type of kit I recommend you keep it in a readily available location and get some training on how to properly use the items in it. 


Real training sucks, EMBRACE the suck.

- John Pinnix

1 comment: